Keeping Hands & Nails in Top Condition
If you followed our step by step DIY Manicure guide, provided by Mavala, you should now have a gorgeous looking Mani (if you haven’t read the piece yet, click here to read).
Of course once you’ve achieved a gorgeous manicure, you’ll want to show it off with nails that are strong and healthy, and hands that are in tip top condition. As our hands are one of the first parts of our body to show their age, Mavala National Trainer Tracey Winder has also provided us with her tips for healthy nails, and for nourished, soothed hands, which she likens to a “facial for our hands” – sounds wonderful doesn’t it! Interested? Of course you are – read on to learn Tracey’s expert tips.
Keeping your nails healthy is easy, with Tracey’s 4 simple steps.
- You are what you eat – eat a balanced diet rich in Vitamins A, B, C, D and E. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, eggs, olive oil and fish. Minerals are critical to strong nails – up your intake of calcium, iron and silicum.
- Toxic nail polishes affect the nail health, so steer clear of anything that includes nasty ingredients like parabens, formaldehydes and camphor – your nails need to be able to breathe so natural, non-toxic formulations are the only way to go.
- Use products designed to specifically treat hands and nails. There are a host of products available today to combat a plethora of concerns. Seek out specific solutions for your specific concerns, i.e. if you have ridges on your nails, look for a treatment product that evens out the nail surface such as as the Mavala Ridge Filler RRP $16.95.
- Always wear a protective shield on your nails – invest in healthy products that offer your nail plate an everyday layer of protection, whether that is a specific treatment product to fortify the nails, a base coat or a nail colour. Mava-Strong helps to fortify your nails, allowing soft nails with a tendency to split to strengthen. RRP $26.95.
With our hands being one of the first body parts to start showing their age as the skin thins out, they need a little TLC to keep them in tip top shape. Follow Tracey’s 5 simple steps, and you’ll have gorgeous hands in no time.
- Start with some simple hand exercises to improve flexibility, get the blood flowing and allow your hand facial products to perform better. Rotate your wrists, stretch your fingers press your hands together etc etc.
- Exfoliate your hands – even though the skin on the hands is delicate, it also needs to exfoliated from time to time to ride the surface of dryness and debris. Take care to use a gentle exfoliant that will not agitate the skin.
- Apply a specific hand mask to rejuvenate and hydrate the freshly prepared skin. Look for soothing ingredients like aloe vera to cushion the hands.
- Use an intensive overnight repair cream to care for damaged hands and wear cotton gloves for optimum results overnight. Look for products that have nourishing shea butter and hyaluronic acid to flood the skin cells with hydration. Mavala Repairing Night Cream For Hands, is a wonderful 30 day cure that you can use overnight, and it comes with a set of cotton gloves. 70ml RRP $69.95.
- Applying an SPF every day on the hands is essential, especially while driving.
And there you have it – super simple tips and tricks for keeping hands and nails in tip top shape. Thank you Mavala and Tracey. How do you keep your hands & Nails looking good? Let us know in the comments below.